Thursday, November 10, 2011

Last Session

I was really impressed with Dr. Bradley's knowledge of school finances.  His discussion regarding school and district budgets was interesting as well as information on bonds and taxes.  I appreciated the background as to why California struggles to adequately fund its schools.  The Priest decision and Proposition 13 definitely changed the way California allots money to its schools.  As a leader, it is extremely important to know how to manage your school's finances and use the money to accomplish the goals set forth by your mission.  At my school, we choose to use a significant amount of money on our Curriculum Support Providers.  They assist the Assistant  Principal's with classroom walkthroughs and coaching and serve as a bridge between administration and the teachers.  Our high English learner population also requires us to properly fund our ELD and intervention programs.  Thank you for bringing in such knowledgeable leaders to share their information with us. 

3 comments:

  1. Pete - You made some great points in your post! First of all, I agree with you that Dr. Bradley's presentation was very informative and I too appreciate that fact that he was "booked" to present to us. I felt this was information we ALL benefited from hearing. I think the road ahead will still be rocky for awhile. Just worrying about the Dec. 15 triggers is bad enough - These circumstances will be the true test of all our administrations. I think our district has worked very hard to ensure we are as protected as we can be in these current times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pete,
    Thanks for sharing your post! It is always nice to see what others do with their funds and it's good to know that because you have such a high EL population that funds are getting put into intervention to help them catch up. I do hope that funds are also being alloted for intervention to other students as well. I also think it's awesome that you have curriculum support providers that are helpful. That certainly works in everyone's favor. I agree that Dr. Bradley gave some great information and I would like to see what is going to happen in the near future with the budget and how it will affect all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Pete! I, too, enjoyed learning about the different struggles California faces when it comes to funding all of our schools. Dr. Bradley always gives us a wealth of knowledge! Take care!

    ReplyDelete